OK, so it’s never going to be big bucks and we’re hardly Alan Sugar but we are still looking for an apprentice to join us.
Enthusiastic person needed to work on our mixed farm. Successful applicant will gain experience with sheep, beef, pigs and arable as well as learning about other parts of the business including meat processing, retail, tourism and book-keeping (if interested!)
23rd July 2021
National Minimum Wage will be paid for any overtime hours.
Days and shifts to be confirmed.
Total hours per week: 30
Expected apprenticeship duration
Possible start date
01 Jul 2021
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- feeding and checking stock daily
- cleaning and bedding up stock pens
- husbandry tasks (eg. worming, dagging, foot trimming)
- tractor work
- meat processing/packing
- help in farm shop (re-stocking, serving customers)
- help with holiday accommmodation and camp site (cleaning/mowing grass)
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Intermediate Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- Hartpury College – 1 day a week in term time
- On the job training at Old Farm
- First Aid, PA1, PA6, Telescopic Handler (Hartpury)
- Health and Safety/Food Hygiene (on-line)
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Our previous apprentice went on to a full time job on a 3000 acre estate.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Communication skills, Attention to detail, Problem solving skills, Team working, Initiative, Patience, Physical fitness, Driving licence essential, Previous animal experience
Things to consider
We are a mixed working farm and have to work outside in all weathers. The role will include carrying bags of feed (20kg) and small bales of hay, catching sheep/turning them over & tractor driving. The candidate will also gain experience with pigs,cattle, alpacas, horses, arable work, meat processing/packing (sausages), retail & hospitality.
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 4) desired
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) desired